We took full advantage of the birthday weekend and ate really well from the start. Sadly, I didn’t take pix of everything (like I normally would) because it would have been just too embarrassing for the others at my table.
Since we ate so much, I’m going to break this up into three Tasty Tuesday posts featuring:
- The Starter: Inovasi in Lake Bluff
- An Amuse Bouche: Crisp in Lakeview
- The Main Course: Owen and Engine in Bucktown
On Friday night, we made a quick trip to Lake Bluff to have dinner with our good friends Chris & Brooke. Big foodies, we knew that Inovasi would be a treat. From the moment we walked in, the vibe was warm and the staff was incredibly sweet. They know Chris & Brooke by name, so the service was obviously fantastic.
We decided to do the tasting menu, which was extremely affordable and well worth $45 per person. Like I said, I didn’t get pictures of everything, because there was just too much! A contemporary American restaurant, the chef supports local, sustainable and organic farms. Here’s what we enjoyed, but check out the menu for the beautiful descriptions:
- Tomato & Sweet Onion Soup
- Fresh Calamari
- Hook & Line Caught Silver Porgie
- Carolina Haddock “Casserole”
- Sustainable Shrimp Risotto
- Charcuterie from Olli Salumeria
- Local Free Range Chicken Confit
- Organic Pork Shoulder
- Dry Aged Dietlzer Farms Sirloin Steak
- Grilled Cook’s Ranch Bison
And then, there was dessert…
- Four Artisan Cheeses
- Chocolate-Hazelnut-Espresso Cake
- Homemade Custard
- Cherry Cake Bread Pudding (“The Birthday Cake”)
It’s nice to get out of the city once in a while, and Inovasi offers a fantastic suburban supper. Thanks to Chris & Brooke for introducing us to a terrific restaurant! Everything was fantastic and I still drool just thinking about that birthday cake!
Do you guys get out to the burbs for a hidden jem? I’d love to hear about it!